|Record #: OCR2162||Last Full Update: 17 Sep 2014|
|Address, Telephone, E-mail, Website|
|Located In Community||Ottawa|
|Address||959 Wellington St W
Ottawa, ON K1Y 2X5
|Intersection||Parkdale Ave and Wellington St W|
|Bus Route Notes||OC Transpo OC Travel Planner or OC Bus Schedules|
|Parking||Free occasional parking on the street|
|Description and Services|
|Description (Service)||Community services centre for immigrants * Assists newcomers, refugees and ethno-cultural groups to become equal participants in the social, economic and political life of Canada.
Settlement Program (formerly Immigrant Settlement and Adaptation Program): Contact Martine Bresee, Settlement Intake Counsellor, 613-725-5671 ext 316 firstname.lastname@example.org
* Services to enable immigrants and refugees to integrate into Canadian society including orientation programs, language and skills training to help facilitate employment, and programs to welcome newcomers to the community * individual agencies may provide needs and eligibility assessments, pre- and post-arrival information and referral, job search and employment counselling, assistance to establish social and professional networks to promote community engagement, and assistance to access a range of settlement services * includes Settlement Workers in Schools program
The Multicultural Liaison Program: Contact Ikram Jama, MLO Program Manager 613-725-5671 extension 262
* Addresses the needs of children and youth from immigrant communities, racial and ethno-cultural minorities through a team of Multicultural Liaison Officers (MLO) working in partnership with the English Public and English Catholic boards of education in the City of Ottawa. * liaison between families and community services. YOCISO activities under the Multicultural Liaison Program are specifically designed to assist immigrant youth, ages 13-24, with their settlement and integration process in Canada. Through this process, these youth gain the necessary skills to achieve their goals, as well as develop a positive mindset to begin to overcome the challenges they may be facing so that they can contribute to the Canadian society. These programs are offered both at the elementary and high schools levels in the Ottawa area, community health centres, and at OCISO. For more information, contact the Manager, Ikram Jama email@example.com.
Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC): Contact Laurie Fraser, Manager, or reception at 613-249-9634
* Full-time and part-time English language training for newcomers * open to all landed immigrants and convention refugees * child minding is available * classes are offered in the South (1800 Bank Street) region of Ottawa * daytime classes only.
Counselling Program: see separate record for information.
Immigrant and Refugee Youth Counselling Project: Contact: Christy Etienne, 613-725-5671 ext 352 firstname.lastname@example.org
* Provides counselling intervention for immigrant and refugee youth through support groups * support healthy self-esteem, self-confidence, and identity development * ease transitions * increase youth engagement, sense of belonging, and connectedness * encourages and help foster development and realization of full potential
Inter Amicos: Contact Magdi Sidahamed, Program Coordinator, 613-725-5671 ext 337
* This is a private sponsorship of refugees by any group of five or more Canadian citizens or permanent residents, who are at least 18 years of age and live in the expected community of settlement. The group must collectively commit to provide the necessary support for their sponsored refugee for the full duration of the sponsorship. The refugee must qualify as refugee according to Canada's refugee and humanitarian resettlement program.
Community Economic Development: Contact Karin Steer, Manager, Program Coordinator, 613-725-5671 ext 297, ksteer@ociso.
* Explore, identify and create opportunities for economic development initiatives within the immigrant community in Ottawa.
Career Mentoring program: Contact Karin Steer, Program Coordinator, 613-725-5671 ext 297, email@example.com or Hedieh Azad, Tel: 613-725-5671 ext 262
* Supports internationally trained professionals to obtain employment in their profession by matching them in a mentoring relationship with Canadians currently employed in the same field or similar field. Mentors support mentees to understand profession specific requirements, develop an employment research plan, understand Canadian working culture, develop professional networks and ultimately secure employment commensurate with their education and experience.
Computer Training: Offers ongoing computer literacy, application and internet usage training to Newcomer women following the iSisters approach to learning in the computer lab at 945 Wellington St. For information on upcoming classes contact Brenda Bedford at 613-725-5671 ext 307 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Hours||Mon-Fri 9 am-5 pm * evening appointments|
|Areas Served||Ottawa (City of)|
|Eligibility||Newcomers, refugees and immigrants.|
|Application||Call contact person for each program|
|Languages||English ; French ; Bengali ; Dari ; Farsi ; Kinyarwanda ; Somali ; Spanish ; Swahili ; Vietnamese ; Interpretive Services ; Kirundi ; Cantonese ; Creole ; Varies per program|
|Service Categories||Adolescent/Youth Counselling ~ Immigrants/Refugees ; Adult Mentoring Programs ~ Immigrants/Refugees ; Career Exploration ~ Immigrants/Refugees ; Cultural Awareness/Competencies Training ; Cultural Transition Counselling ; English as a Second Language ; General Psychiatry ~ Immigrants/Refugees ; Human Relations Groups ; Immigrant/Refugee Employment Programs ~ Women ; Immigrant/Refugee Support Groups ~ Women ; Newcomer Settlement Services ; Parent/Family Involvement in Education ~ Immigrants (Canada) ; School System Advocacy ~ Immigrants (Canada) ; Specialized Information and Referral ~ Immigration Issues ; Volunteer Development ~ Immigrants (Canada)|
|Waiting List||Yes, length varies according to program|
|Primary Contact||Martine Bresee, Settlement Intake Counsellor; Phone: 613-725-5671 ext 316; Email: email@example.com|
|Primary Executive||Elwira Felczak, Manager, Settlement and Integration Program; Phone: 613-725-5671 ext 325; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|