|Record #: OCR2162||Last Full Update: 26 Oct 2016|
|Description and Services|
|Description (Service)||Community services center for immigrants and refugees * Assists newcomers, refugees and ethno-cultural groups to become equal participants in the social, economic and political life of Canada. Programs include community economic development, multicultural liaison officer, settlement and integration, refugee 613, clinical counselling, youth programs, and English language instruction to newcomers.
Settlement and Integration Program: Contact - Rana Kais, Program Manager, 613-725-5671 ext 321, email@example.com
* Provides multilingual and multicultural services to immigrants and refugees in order to facilitate their successful adaptation and integration processes in Canada. Provides information and orientation sessions for Individuals, families and groups * supportive counselling * settlement consultation * client advocacy * and community referrals.
Multicultural Liaison Program: Contact - Ikram Jama, MLO Program Manager, 613-725-5671 ext 262, firstname.lastname@example.org
* Addresses the needs of immigrant and refugee families through a team of Multicultural Liaison Officers (MLO) working in partnership with the English Public and English Catholic boards of education in the City of Ottawa to provide settlement services to newcomer families in Ottawa schools and summer programs, leadership development, and civic engagement opportunities. * Supports the creation of a welcoming school environment for newcomer students. Programs are specifically designed to assist immigrant and refugee youth, ages 13-24, with their settlement and integration process in Canada. * Helps youth gain the necessary skills to achieve their goals and develop a positive mindset to overcome the challenges they may be facing so that they can contribute to the Canadian society. Programs are offered both at the elementary and high schools levels.
Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC): Contact - Laurie Fraser, Program Manager, (613) 249-0006, email@example.com
* Full-time and part-time English language training for newcomers provided in the context of settlement and community * Open to all landed immigrants and refugees * Classes are offered in the South (1800 Bank Street) region of Ottawa * Daytime and evening classes available. * Child care also available.
Counselling Program: Contact - Karen White Jones, Program Manager, 613-725-5671 ext 396, firstname.lastname@example.org
* Offers private and confidential clinical counselling to culturally diverse (individual, couple, family and group) clients with migration and culture-related issues, and specialize in assisting survivors of war torture, trauma, political persecution and imprisonment. * Employs a wide variety of intervention techniques which allow for a culturally sensitive and responsive therapeutic process. * Respects the client’s culture and incorporates that culture into the therapeutic process.
Refugee Sponsorship: Contact - Lili-Anne Kondo, Settlement Intake, 613-725-5671 ext 316, email@example.com * Private sponsorship of refugees by any group of five or more Canadian citizens or permanent residents 18 years of age and older who live in the expected community of settlement. * The group must collectively commit to provide the necessary support for their sponsored refugee for the full duration of the sponsorship. * The refugee must qualify as refugee according to Canada's refugee and humanitarian resettlement program.
Community Economic Development: Contact - Karyn Steer, Program Manager, 613-725-5671 ext 297, ksteer@ociso
* Delivers career mentoring and networking programs to support newcomers to obtain employment in their field, develop an understanding of the Canadian workplace culture, build networks and develop strategies for employment maintenance and advancement within the Canadian workplace. * Programming includes Core Career Mentorship, Federal Internship for Newcomers Mentoring (FINP), EmployMENtor, Ottawa Connector Program, Algonquin College Life Sciences Mentoring, Advancing Immigrant Women through Mentorship, iSisters Career Mentoring, and Pre-arrival Mentoring.
Career Mentoring program: Contact - Karyn Steer, Program Manager, 613-725-5671 ext 297, firstname.lastname@example.org or Hedieh Azad, email@example.com, 613-725-5671 ext 262
* Supports internationally trained professionals to obtain employment in their profession by matching them in a mentoring relationship with Canadians currently employed in the same field or similar field. Mentors support mentees to understand profession specific requirements, develop an employment research plan, understand Canadian working culture, develop professional networks and ultimately secure employment commensurate with their education and experience.
Computer Training: Contact Karyn Steer, Program Manager, 613-725-5671 ext 297, firstname.lastname@example.org * Offers ongoing computer literacy, application and internet usage training to Newcomer women following the iSisters approach to learning in the computer lab at 945 Wellington St.
Income Tax preparation assistance: Free Income Tax Clinics offered to immigrants and refugees during the months of March and April.
School Supplies: Free school supplies for children from kindergarten to grade 8.
|Sup. Description||Free Income Tax Clinics offered to immigrants and refugees during the months of March and April. Legal Aid available at the Centre. Housing Help available at the Centre. Free Citizenship test classes 8 weeks, 3 hours per week. Requirements Canadian Language Benchmark 4. To register please call Sheila at 613-725-5671 ext 396 or email@example.com.|
|Hours||Mon-Fri 9 am-5 pm * evening appointments|
|Areas Served||Ottawa (City of)|
|Eligibility||Newcomers, refugees and immigrants.|
|Application||Call contact person for each program|
|Languages||English ; French ; Arabic ; Bengali ; Chinese (Cantonese) ; Chinese (Mandarin) ; Dari ; Farsi ; French Creole ; German ; Hindi ; Nepali ; Polish ; Portuguese ; Punjabi ; Russian ; Somali ; Spanish ; Swahili ; Urdu ; Vietnamese ; Yoruba ; Interpretive Services ; Kirundi|
|Service Categories||Adolescent/Youth Counselling ~ Immigrants/Refugees ; Adult Mentoring Programs ~ Immigrants/Refugees ; Career Exploration ~ Immigrants/Refugees ; Cultural Awareness/Competencies Training ; Cultural Transition Counselling ; English as a Second Language ; General Psychiatry ~ Immigrants/Refugees ; Human Relations Groups ; Immigrant/Refugee Employment Programs ~ Women ; Immigrant/Refugee Support Groups ~ Women ; Newcomer Settlement Services ; Parent/Family Involvement in Education ~ Immigrants (Canada) ; School Supplies ~ Immigrants/Refugees ~ Elementary School Students ; School System Advocacy ~ Immigrants (Canada) ; Specialized Information and Referral ~ Immigration Issues ; Tax Preparation Assistance ; Volunteer Development ~ Immigrants (Canada)|
|Waiting List||Yes, length varies according to program|
|Primary Contact||Agnieszka Wedrychowicz, HR Coordinator/Office Manager; Phone: 613-725-5671 ext 398; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Primary Executive||Leslie Emory, Executive Director; Phone: 613-725-5671 ext 312; Email: email@example.com|
|Former Name||Ottawa Carleton Immigrant Services Organization|
|Location & Accessibility|
|Located In Community||Ottawa|
|Address & Map||
959 Wellington St W
Ottawa, ON K1Y 2X5
View Google Map
|Intersection||Parkdale Ave and Wellington St W|
|Bus Route Notes||OC Transpo OC Travel Planner or Route Timetable|
|Physical Access||Fully Accessible|
|Parking||Free occasional parking on the street|
|Funding||City / Town - City of Ottawa ; Provincial - Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration * Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services ; Federal - Status of Women Canada * Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada ; Donations - Charitable Registration Number: 107805632 RR0001 ; United Way ; Foundation - Ottawa Community Foundation * Ontario Trillium Foundation * RBC Royal Bank ; Ottawa Carleton District School Board|
|Elections||The Board of Directors is elected.|
|Resources||Annual newsletter * Program brochures and flyers|