Canada. Financial Consumer Agency of Canada

Service: Cashing your Government of Canada Cheque for Free

Alternate Name FCAC
Location & Accessibility
Located In Community Ottawa
Address & Map
427 Laurier Ave W, 6th Flr
Ottawa, ON K1R 1B9
View Google Map
Intersection Kent St and Laurier Ave W
Bus Route Notes OC Transpo OC Travel Planner or Route Timetable
Physical Access Fully Accessible
Parking Parking meters
Description and Services
Description (Service) Under Canadian law, you have the right to cash your Government of Canada cheque (less than $1,500) for free at any bank branch in Canada that has tellers, even if you are not a customer. Identification is required. 
The bank can refuse to cash a Government of Canada cheque for you if the cheque is for more than $1,500 or if the bank believes the cheque is fraudulent. 
If the bank won't cash your cheque: 
1. Ask the bank for a letter saying it will not cash your cheque. By law, the bank must give you this letter and also tell you how to contact Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC); 
2. Tell the bank you want to make a complaint. By law, all banks must have a complaint-handling process; 
3. Call FCAC.
Hours Mon-Fri 8:30 am-5 pm
Areas Served Canada
Eligibility No restrictions
Application To cash your cheque you need to show one piece of original identification (ID) with both your photo and your signature * if you don't have any ID with both your photo and your signature, you will have to show two pieces of original ID * if you only have one piece of ID, but it doesn't have both your photo and signature: you can show only one piece of ID if you also have someone at the bank whom you know and can confirm that you are who you say you are 
Acceptable pieces of ID include: a Canadian Driver's license * a Social Insurance Number (SIN) card * a Canadian Birth Certificate * a provincial health insurance card (except in Ontario, Prince Edward Island or Manitoba) * a current Canadian Passport * a debit card or bank card that has your name and signature on it * a Canadian credit card that has your name and signature on it * an Old Age Security card * a Certificate of Indian Status * a current passport from another country * a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship or Certification of Naturalization * a Permanent resident Card or a Citizenship and Immigration Canada Form IMM 1000, IMM 1442 or IMM 5292 * there are other forms of ID you can use, call for details
Languages English ; French
Fees None
Service Categories Banking Services Information and Support ; Government Consumer Protection Agencies
Contact Information
Office Phone Calls from the Ottawa area or from outside Canada 613-960-4666
Toll Free Phone English 1-866-461-3222 * French 1-866-461-2232
TTY Phone Toll free 1-866-914-6097 * for calls from the Ottawa area or from outside Canada 613-947-7771
Fax Toll free 1-866-814-2224 * for calls from the Ottawa area or from outside Canada 613-941-1436
Primary Executive Lucie Tedesco, Commissioner
Alternate Executive Brigitte Goulard, Commissioner Assistant
Other Details
Resources Website

Please Note: Every effort is made to ensure that the information in this database is accurate, up-to-date and comprehensive. The Community Information Centre of Ottawa (CIC) cannot assume liability resulting from errors or omissions. Inclusion of a programme or service does not imply endorsement, nor does omission reflect on the contribution that an organization makes in a community. The reader should verify the information before acting on it.

This Site is linked to other websites that are not under the control of and are not maintained by the Community Information Centre of Ottawa (CIC). The CIC is not responsible for the content of those websites. The CIC is providing these links to you only as a convenience, and the inclusion of any link to such websites does not imply endorsement by the CIC of those websites. Anyone linking to this site must comply with these Terms and all applicable laws.