Big Brothers Big Sisters Ottawa
|Description and Services|
|Hours||Mon-Fri 9 am-5 pm * call ahead if planning to drop-in|
|Description||Provides girls and boys in need with an opportunity for personal development through friendship with responsible adult volunteers. The unique needs and challenges of all program participants are met through fostering friendships via recreational activities, personal development workshops and participation in community events. |
* One-to-One Matching Program: Girls and boys are matched with a responsible adult volunteer for friendship. Meeting once a week for a minimum commitment of one year, each outing lasts two to four hours and is based on low-cost, or no-cost activities. Regular group events are organized to complement the match outings.
* Couples for Kids: Matches a child with a responsible adult couple so that they can experience the benefits of mentoring from a caring and respectful adult relationship. Couples should be at least 20 years of age and together for a minimum of 1 year.
* Go Girls!: Aims to promote physical activity, healthy eating, and the development of positive self-image among girls 12-14. Each program consists of 7 group mentoring sessions that are conducted within participating schools and community resource centres.
* Game On!: Aims to promote physical activity, healthy eating, and the development of positive self-image among boys 12-14. Each program consists of 7 group mentoring sessions that are conducted within participating schools and community resource centres.
* Meet You In School: A co-op placement opportunity for high school, university and college students that matches mature, committed and motivated students with elementary students, ages 7-11.
* In-School Mentoring: Matches a volunteer with a child, ages 7 to 18, in the school setting. Children who participate in the program benefit from a friend and role model who will help them increase their self-esteem, strengthen their school learning and enhance their social skills.
|Eligibility||Ages: 6 year(s) - 16 year(s) |
Girls and boys, ages 6-16, living in Ottawa in need of special attention and the opportunity for personal development.
|Application||Referrals from parents or community agencies. For information on becoming a Big Sister or a Big Brother, visit the website or call the main number to find out when next information session is being held.|
|Languages of Service||English ; French|
|Areas Served||Ottawa (City of)|
|Primary Executive||Kathleen Provost, Executive Director|
|Location & Accessibility|
|Address||39 Camelot Rd, Ste 200|
Ottawa, ON K2G 5W6
|Intersection||Merivale Rd and W Hunt Club Rd|
|Located In Community||Ottawa|
|Bus Route Notes||OC Transpo OC Travel Planner or OC Bus Schedules|
|Subjects||Boys ; Charitable status ; Children ; Day camps ; Drop-in centres ; Free services ; Friendship services ; Girls ; Low income people ; Matching services ; Nonprofit organizations ; Recreation ; Sports ; Youth|
|Print Material||Pamphlets * posters|
|Established||Big Brothers: 1970, Big Sisters: 1973, Big Brothers Big Sisters Ottawa: 2002|
|Elections||The Board of Directors is elected.|
|Funding||City / Town ; Fundraising ; Donations - Charitable Registration Number: 106794431 RR0001 ; United Way|